January 21, 2019, 10:18:46 PM

Author Topic: FIM110.3  (Read 167 times)

Acans

• Webmaster
  • Nisi credideritis, non intelligetis
    • Acans Blog
FIM110.3
« on: December 12, 2018, 01:26:02 AM »
Welcome FIM110 to my presentation about me!

Now I'm going to quickly lay out this presentation agenda.

Firstly, we're going to talk about me, where I'm from and why I'm at SAE.
Secondly, what filmmakers that I admire
And thirdly, where do I see myself in the film Industry.

So, about me. I'm from a town called Mackay in North Queensland. I Believe the reason I like film so much is during school I took the elective FTV or Film & TV (And that I actually turned up to the class as opposed to others) This gave me my first experience with cameras, green screen, lighting and editing.

But, I didn't want to pursue a career in Film. From when I was 12 I wanted to join the Navy. So much so that from when I turned 12 and a half I joined the Navy Cadets. I didn't want to join straight after school as I knew I was still young and stupid, but once I matured a little bit.

However...

Now I couldn't join the Navy anymore in any capacity, so I needed to think of a new career. After a few years, I finally decided I wanted to study the only other thing I was passionate about in High School, Film. As after high school, I continued doing the odd projects like editing together holiday clips into music videos and creating different types of content to share with friends and family.

Now, onto our second topic, Filmmakers that I admire.

Quentin Tarantino.

Sally Menke.

First I'll start explaining Tarantino and his process. First, he writes everything himself. In fact he has complete control over his whole film up to the editing process. Because of this, he could be called or referred to as an Auteur.

When he's writing he is meticulous, writing as if he was putting on foot in front of the other. Not skipping the small details that could be lost. He also uses a pen and paper to help him with this process for the first drafts.

He writes in huge amounts, an example being a 500+ page screenplay for pulp fiction.

Also a 6-hour film in Jackie Brown that had to be cut down to 2 and a half hours.

To this day he's used his own written screen players, and in an interview has expressed he's not against using screenplays by others, notably David Peoples (Unforgiven) and Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption), however, this is not an invitation for lesser writers to send him their scripts. As besides those examples and exceptional scripts, we would much rather be making his own movie or doing other things in his life.

Tarantino is known for his many styles, I won't list them all but give a few examples.

First, is long intense dialogue. The example here is the introduction to the ss cornel and his hunt for jews at the start of Inglourious Bastards. Personally, I believe this scene was a big contributing factor to being nominated for best editing at the Oscars.

Humorously dramatic violence.

Camera shots included the Car Trunk shots, among others.

Tarantino also likes to use recurring actors for his movies. The graphics on the screen shows actors that have appeared in 2 or more movies and which ones. I also feel that he may write some of his characters with these certain actors in mind. Although I couldn't find a confirmed report from Tarantino himself, I found an interview from Christoph Waltz where he said -

"he invited me up to his house again and put another ... warm stack of paper in front of me and then eyed me and watched me reading and sort of reading my face and my reactions to it, so ... yes, I'm proud to say — and I hope it's not being presumptuous — he did write it for me."

Next, on the Sally Menke

Sally edited every Tarantino movie up until Inglourious Basterds until her untimely death. Her death rocked Tarantino as Sally was his "only, truly genuine collaborator". The movie Django Unchained was dedicated to her memory.

She had learned from Scorsese’s example of how to and I quote "follow the emotional arc of a character through a scene, even if, as in the opening of Inglourious Basterds, they're just pouring a glass of milk or stuffing their pipe. We're very proud of that scene – it might be the best thing we've ever done.“ - Sally Menke

As I mentioned earlier, the reason I believe for Inglourious Basterds being nominated for Best Editing Oscar.

Her cutting style with dialogue scenes are very subtle, how she introduces characters and their power dynamic through the editing techniques like moving through black and behind the people.

The relationship between Director-Editor was very strong, often times she would just know what he wanted as if she could read his mind.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 02:34:01 PM by Acans »